Monday, July 13, 2009

Seattle Parks

This summer, I've made a point of finally exploring two of the biggest parks in Seattle, Discovery and Seward. I'd been to a picnic at Discovery years ago, and may have taken a quick look at Seward, back when I checked out a shared housing situation there years ago, but I've never really taken the time to look around.

May's low Memorial Day tide gave me an opportunity to check out the sea life at Discovery Park, which is at the end of the Magnolia peninsula in Puget Sound. The tide was low enough to see the necks of geoduck clams (geoduck in Lushootseed means "dig deep") along the sandy portion of the beach, although most of the sea life I saw was on the rockier norther shore. From my old apartment on Alki, I could see the light of the light house in the picture here.

This past weekend, I checked out Seward Park, It occupies Bailey peninsula, which juts out into Lake Washington. Lake Washington's fresh water lacks the diverse sea life of the Sound, but does have old growth trees. It's been a Seattle park for almost 100 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home