Monday, March 29, 2010

Bad Jew

Tonight is the first night of Passover. No seder for me tonight, and, in my amazing ability to eat pork on Jewish holidays, I had a pulled-pork sandwich from the faux barbecue I made over the weekend. I figure after the pork, the bun was hardly relevant (it was frozen, if that is any consolation). I did wash it down with 2 glasses of nero d'avolo, my favorite red wine.

I do do a seder every year with my pseudo-family and other bad Jews who, since we are all busy, schedule it to our convenience. For the first time in awhile, we'll actually be doing it during Passover, this Wednesday night. I bring the charoset and a not-Kosher-for-Passover dessert. This year I'm doing an orange poppy seed cake.

I've never been one to really honor the restrictions of Passover. I remember one year my mother baked some weird bread for my sandwiches, since I wouldn't eat matzoh. My mother was good about Passover, although I think we sealed up the non-compliant food in a cupboard rather than tossing it.

My two favorite Passover things as a child were the fruit slices and the yellow cake with chocolate frosting that came in a box with its own pan. Haven't seen that recently, but maybe I'll peruse the discount items once Passover is over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home