Saturday, November 24, 2007

Gift Giving Guide

I admit that I am hard to please when it comes to gifts. I approach giving gifts as a puzzle, trying to think of something I want to give that the person will also like, even if they might not realize it themselves. Since not everyone has this way of choosing gifts, I wrote this up as an attempt to lay out my likes and dislikes that can perhaps generate some ideas if you do enjoy being creative in selecting gifts. If not, just check out my latest wish list.

I like gifts that are things that I will use regularly. I have a pair of leather gloves I got years ago that always make me think of the person who gave them to me. I have an umbrella, a couple scarfs, sweaters, jewelry, household gadgets, towels, sheets, etc... that do the same. I like having these reminders of the people around me in the objects I live with.

General Knowledge
I like shiny silver things. I like greens, blues, violets, grays, and pinks. I read mysteries. I love brain puzzles (I'm not good spatially so I don't really like the physical puzzles and I can not do the 3D eye puzzles) and the New York Times crossword (I'm an utter crossword snob in that respect). I like games. I have degrees in anthropology and information science. I love water and its creatures. I enjoy going to the theater and to movies. I enjoy a wide range of music (although I tend not to like most rap and country).

Adornment
I don't wear a lot of jewelry but do like pins, bracelets, and screw-on earrings (I don't have pierced ears and clasp ones are painful). I'm getting more into necklaces. I love older jewelry, especially things with rhinestones. Nothing too big or flashy, and, if metal is involved, silver really is the only choice. I use barrettes but they need to be pretty sturdy as I have very thick hair. I wear nailpolish.

Clothing
I wear almost all natural fibers -- cotton, silk, wool, linen, leather. I do not like to wear clothing with words on them or t-shirts with big pictures. I'm a size 10.

Toiletries
I'm not much into scented bath things as I find most perfumed things overwhelming (I prefer clean, non-floral scents, although I do like lilac. Satsuma/tangerine is a favorite) and I've often gotten rashes from bubble bath type stuff. I do like salt scrubs, especially the ones made with essential oils. I've also taken to wearing perfume, Burberry Brit Eau de Parfum.

Other Thoughts
Journals
I've kept a journal now for over 25 years, and so go through several a year. The only criteria here are UNLINED blank books that aren't much bigger than a folded sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home