Thursday, September 10, 2009

DDS

I got my teeth cleaned today. I'm always a little amazed that we modern folk sit passively (or is it actively?) while another person has their hands in our mouths wielding sharp implements, occasionally brushing by nerves along the way.

I can remember going to the dentist when I was 4 or 5. Then, the visit was more about brush cleaning than implement cleaning. The worst part was the trays of fluoride crammed in my mouth with the old-fashioned timer slowly ticking away the minutes until they would take them out. Nasty stuff. The thing I liked about early teeth care were the little red chews that supposedly highlighted where I should brush.

The early indoctrination must have worked, though, because even at times when I was without insurance, I made a point of getting my teeth cleaned fairly regularly. I would go to dental or hygienist school, where prices were low but time commitment was high.

Despite the regular cleanings, I have not always been good about the daily care of my teeth. I stopped lying to my dentist about how well I kept up when I was in my early twenties. Then in my early thirties I got really good about not only brushing twice a day, but flossing (thanks, in part, to my boyfriend at the time). I've kept that up pretty well since.

Now a days, the only real issue I have is old fillings. I was told that most silver fillings last about 20 years. Most of mine are at least 30 years old. My childhood dentist was awesome (if only I could remember his name!). I had one section redone a couple of years ago, the old silver replaced with enamel-colored. Almost makes me wish the others would need to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home