Thursday, April 01, 2010

HTTM and Apocalypse Now

I saw two movies Saturday: Hot Tub Time Machine and Apocalypse Now: Redux.

Hot Tub Time Machine


****
Went to the Oak Tree Cinema for the early matinee with Ryan to see Hot Tub Time Machine. From the moment I heard the title, I felt compelled to see this movie, although I must confess my total fear it would be awful. John Cusak's presence was a small gleam of hope that it would be worth seeing, although it was confusing why he'd be in the movie, unless he'd lost a bet.

But John Cusak and the '80's once again provided solid, silly entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Even the vomit joke was even funny! Not sure how to talk about it without spoilers, so I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Apocalypse Now: Redux


***
Netflix sent me two disks, containing both versions of this movie. I originally assumed that the movies were each on their own disk. Not the case. Act One of both films was on the first disk, Act Two on the other. This made the length of each movie unclear.

I'd decided to watch the Redux, to see what the director had changed after 20 years. Turns out the Redux is about 50 minutes longer than the original, with added footage from a French plantation scene among other things. It was a very long, slow trip.

I think this movie would have been better seen when it came out. It'd be great if we could see a movie without any of the cultural references or history that comes after it. This movie suffers from all that has come since it came out 30 years ago.

Afterward, I read Wikipedia's information on various issues with filming--Brando's being overweight, Martin Sheen's heart attack, sets destroyed by a typhoon, and a director who didn't know how to end the movie. It is an impressive film, although I'm not sure I really liked it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home