Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

2016 in all its perversion has taken away my usual Thanksgiving routine. At this point, I would expect nothing less from 2016.

For more years than I really want to count, I've had roughly the same meal with roughly the same people every fourth Thursday in November. There was one year that I missed as I was off traveling, but that was last century.

The day starts with bagels, lox, and pink glorp (a cream cheese and smoked salmon schmear). There is pie making, where I am often in charge of the filling. And bringing the stamps to do decorative cut outs, including the Death Star. A few times, DPW and I have made it out for a movie, but mostly it is a day indoors preparing for folks to arrive around 4, with dinner around 7 depending (one year, the turkey went in the oven but it wasn't on so we got rotisserie chicken from Safeway).

It would have been nice, given the extra perverseness of November 2016, to have had that little bit of normality to soothe all the disbelief I've been needing to suspend. Not that the alternative is bad. Friends are taking me off for a gourmet meal with their friends. Appetizers start at 1. I am bringing foie gras stuffed dates.

Routine is comfortable and 2016 is a very uncomfortable year.

I am thankful it is almost over. I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home