Thursday, October 09, 2014

Tacovore

Several years ago, I realized I'd become a tacovore. Two tacos are a perfect lunch for me. A good amount of protein, not too much in the way of simple carbs, and at least a little lettuce, or radish. I've had at least 9 tacos in the past week--eight crispy, one soft from Taco Time, the original Seattle fast food taco spot.

It started around 2005. The cafeteria near my office started doing these amazing tacos--street style with soft corn tortillas, tasty meat, shredded cabbage, and a very tasty sauce on them. About the same time, Qdoba opened in the Oak Tree Mall, instantly endearing itself to me with its habanero salsa and soda machine offering both Coke and Dr. Pepper. I started with their soft tacos, but found the flour tortillas a little sticky, so moved on to crispy tacos. I started with their chicken but now tend to get their pulled pork with the habanero salsa, a little sour cream, and lettuce.

The taco trucks began to move into Seattle around 2006, with Rancho Bravo being between my home and office. I moved offices closer to a range of restaurants, including a Mexican place that had al pastor tacos that came with radishes, onion, and cilantro. Chipotle opened on The Ave. I started with their pork with the medium salsa (much better taste than their hot), a little sour cream, and lettuce, plus some chipotle Tabasco on it, but now almost always get their chicken. A few years later a Qdoba opened up near the office building my department was moving into, which ensured tacos had a very regular place in my diet.

I do wonder if I am nearing the end of my tacovoreness. It often seems like there is a limit to how much of something you can eat in a given period of time. I've maxed out on the Rancho Bravo tacos, moving on to tamales there. I think I've maxed out on Taco del Mar tacos. And I fear I maybe nearing maximum lifetime habanero salsa. Or perhaps, I am just getting too old for it. I'll keep you posted.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home