Sunday, April 16, 2006

Whaddya Know?

I listened to the complete broadcast of "Whad'Ya Know?" for the first time in way too long. I'm not sure when I first started listening to it, but I do know it was driving around in my car on Saturday late morning/early afternoon. I went to see the show when it was at the Paramount theatre in Seattle in the late 90's. At some point, KPLU, which had been broadcasting it, moved it around in its schedule, eventually dropping it altogether. Recently, driving around in my car on a Sunday afternoon, I discovered that KUOW now plays it.

My favorite parts of the show are the quiz and the people who call in. Those people reassure me that there are intelligent, humorous people all across America. Now, more than ever, I need that reassurance.

Todays' show talked about Samuel Beckett, since Ireland, the land he left, is celebrating his centenial this year. It was the third Beckett reference I'd encountered this week. My connection to Beckett was playing Vladmir (Didi) in 'En Attendant Godot' when my college French club did scenes in our campus coffee/ice cream house, Cholmondeley's. I can still recite the play from the first line until Gogo asks Didi if he's read the Bible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home