Saturday, November 20, 2010

An apology

To the man with the blue car at Paseo today:

I do apologize for any distress that I caused you. It honestly never would have occurred to me to apologize for tapping your car while parallel parking unless there was damage but then usually the car owner is not around. In this case, the only reason I knew you were the car's owner was because you purposefully hit my car in what I considered to be a very aggressive act. When you raised the issue of an apology later, saying you did not understand where I was coming from, I was disappointed you walked away without trying to hear what that might be, and without seeming to understand how your actions altered whatever might have happened otherwise. Say, for example, you had just looked at your bumper after I had parked, without the car hitting before hand, I would have expressed concern as to whether everything was alright.

I do thank you for giving me things to meditate on. The range of when apologies should be given, and expressing myself in a way that better promotes hearing, even in those walking away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home