Thursday, June 28, 2007

Off the list

I got a bit misty watching the news coverage tonight on how the Bald Eagle was removed from the Endangered Species list. It was the fact that in 1963 there were about 417 nesting pairs in the lower 48 states, but now there are over 10,000. An amazing recovery.

The first time I saw a bald eagle in the wild was sailing up to Alaska. It was exciting to spot it, perched on a tree. Bald eagles abound in that part of the world, though, so by the time we reached the end of our trip in Sitka, the trees were filled with bald eagles and the novelty had worn off.

That didn't tarnish my excitement seeing one outside my Alki window when I was eating breakfast one morning some years ago. I told my regular bus driver that morning, who replied, "Oh, is he back?" which sucked a lot of the excitement from the event.

Of course, now there are worries that the bald eagle will face habitat loss without the protection it has had. While most are touting the endangered species protections as enabling this significant comeback, I'm sure that those opposed to such measures will continue to poo-poo such restrictions to "progress." Let's hope we can take care of an American symbol better than we are currently taking care of American ideals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home