Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day

Labor Day was always the day before school started for me, all the way through college. It marked the end of summer vacation and a return to structure. As an adult, it has no real meaning for me. I mark the end of summer around August 1st living here in Seattle, where some leaves started turning colors weeks ago and sunset is now about 90 minutes earlier than it was on the solstice.

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the local morning news show to see if there were any actual Labor Day celebrations, but they only mentioned Bumbershoot, an annual music event at Seattle Center.

I think it's interesting that we celebrate the worker identically with the soldier, at least in terms of a three-day weekend that bookends what Americans call 'summer' but there seems to be no festivity to honor the day. We honor workers by resting, barbecuing, and having sales.

And I celebrated by going shopping and driving a lot. Appropriately American, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home